Sunday, February 24, 2013

Plastic Bags to Yarn = Plarn

I haven't blogged in a while, but I thought this might be worth passing along.  My lovely mother-in-law was very interested in what I was working on yesterday... plarn.

Plarn is when you cut up plastic bags and basically make them into yarn.

There are lots of places online to get tutorials on how to make your own plarn, but here is the process I used.

Start with flattened plastic bag
Cut off handles and bottom

Fold and cut 1.5" strips
That worked out, didn't it?

Knot together
Make smallest knot possible so you can work over it



Roll into ball... 3 bags made this much plarn
Current size of project... about 20 bags so far

I'm still working on the bag, but it should be an interesting experiment.  Google 'plarn' and you will find tons of different things made with it.  Including sandals, which I thought was interesting, but I don't think I'll be trying.  So far, I think I'm going to try to make different bags.  I think plarn would make nice beach bags, market bags and laundry bags.  I'll post an update when I'm finished my current bag.

If this works out, I might send out a call to my friends to bring me their unwanted bags... some of the big projects can take over 150 bags.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment